Tuesday 4 December 2012

Week 3

Hola amigos,

Como estan?

So today was my second day at my new placement. They moved me from la Escualita because it wasn't the best fit due to the age of the children and my lack of spanish abilites. The new place is an orphanage with 60 children between the ages of 3 weeks and 16 years, all of whom have HIV or AIDS. It is run by nuns, or "hermanas", so I feel like I am in the sound of music most of the time, but in the best way possible. The orphanage is so peaceful and everyone always seems to be happy and content, which is such a great atmosphere to be around.

The babys are SO FRIGGIN CUTE it's unbelievable. You walk through la enfermaria and there are just rooms and rooms of tiny cribs and beds, some empty, some with sick children, and some little tiny itty bitty babies. Today me and the other volunteer Sophia took two of the babies out onto the playground. One of them is this shy little girl named Alisa who just stares at you with her giant brown eyes when you talk to her or try to play peek a boo. She is just learning how to walk and it is really funny. The other one is a little boy named Jouse. He is such a monkey boy. He is too little to walk, so he just hangs onto us when we carry him and squeezes us so tight like a monkey. He is also really hairy for some reason and has such a pouty little face, just like a baby monkey. You can tell he is pretty sick because of his swollen belly and laboured breathing, but that doesn't stop him from being one of the most adorable kids I've ever met. There was also this teeny tiny little 3 week old girl who's name I can't remember and about 5 or 6 other babies. The saddest part about the babies is that you can't coddle them or hold them when they cry, because if they get used to that then they will just cry all the time in their cribs, wanting to be held. It is amazing how calm and silent the babies are in their cribs, just sitting and watching you, but they get so excited when you reach out your arms to pick them up and take them somewhere. Then when we put them back in the cribs they immediately start crying and I just want to get them back out and hold them, but the hermanas tell us not to do that because there aren't enough staff for the babies to get held all the time.

Then there are the elusive toddlers. Every time we try to see them they are either no where to be found, or we are not allowed in the room where they are. We're not sure why they're so mysterious, but we've caught glimpses of them and theyre so sweet, I hope we get to play with them tomorrow!

I spent quite a bit of time today hanging up laundry to dry outside (this is mostly when I felt like I was in the sound of music). I also helped feed some of the kids and did arts and crafts with the older ones. A few of the kids are deaf and or mute, and some have big scars on their faces. I assume this has to do with the HIV/AIDS, but I'm not totally sure.

I love this new placement so much more than the other one. Oh ps, the girl who has the pictures of our other placement said she will send them to my this weekend, so you can look forward to those NEXT week. In the mean time I will try to bring my camera to my current placement so you can see what an amazing place it is.

I love reading your comments, so please keep commenting if you so desire!

I thought I had more to say but I can't think of  it right now. If I do I will make another post!

Love and miss you all!

xoxo Katy

3 comments:

  1. lololol elusive toddlers. Solve the mystery behind them Miss Harriet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi KATY...JUST HAD LUNCH WITH YOUR DAD &UNCLE MICHAELAT RAVENNA STORE...CHRISTMAS PARTY WITH MY2 OLDEST SONS !!! SNOW IS ON THE GROUNDSOIT LOOKS LIKE CHRISTMAS !! YOUR NEW JOB SOUNDS GOOD BUT AREAL CHALLENGE !! HOW MANY KIDS ALTOGETHER ?? WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE ??? MISSING YOU LOTS OF LOVE ANDY XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy!...glad to hear that you are enjoying your new placement!...what a challenge not being able to pick up and cuddle the little ones when they cry....Jouse sounds likke a real cutie...they are blessed to have you there...Best wishes and lots of love...XO Belinda

    ReplyDelete